CST 338 - Week 7/8 Reflection

 Jotto Assignment Reflection

The Jotto assignment that was first assigned to us was a very challenging assignment, but it helped me become familiar with Java and IntelliJ. I felt more comfortable with the syntax involved in coding in Java and using IntelliJ. 

The very first thing I would have done was to make sure that I was using Java 11 SDK and not the latest version. I did not pay attention to the fact that we needed to change the SDK of each project from the current Java version to Java 11. Even though I was still able to write the code, it did not meet the requirements set by the professor. 

The second thing I would have done differently is to write out on paper and create a flowchart of what methods rely on each other. I would start with the methods that were
e most heavily relied upon and then built from there. 

The third thing I would have done differently is to write the code to the point that it would run. I spent a lot of time focusing on passing the tests and not enough time on the overall process. I would build the stubs for each method and then begin to write out the code for each one based on the prompt. 

The fourth thing I would have done differently would have been to utilize the debug features on IntelliJ and read and utilize the error messages. When I first started, I would just see that an error occurred and try to find it on my own. I am now more comfortable with reading error codes and using the debug feature to find where the error occurred. 

Victories from CST 338 

This class taught me so much about Software Design. While there were many failures, some strong victories overshadowed those failures. 

The first victory I had in this class was being able to extend and implement classes. This was demonstrated on the Midterm assignment, Super Maker, which was completed on an individual basis for our midterm. I was proud that I was able to complete this project on my own within the given amount of time. The classes involved connecting and using Interface classes with abstract classes, as well as extending and implementing some classes. As a result, I feel more comfortable with IntelliJ and creating a simple activity. 

The second victory I had in this class was creating an application on Android Studio with my partner. This project helped us apply our knowledge of classes from the assignments on IntelliJ to the app development on Android Studio. I got to see how interfaces interacted with abstract classes as well as extended and implemented classes. It was awesome to see our idea come to life and how every aspect connects with each other. I also really enjoyed working with databases. As a result, I feel more comfortable with Android Studio and creating a basic application. 

The third victory I had was becoming an (almost) pro at debugging. My debugging skills have really increased this year on IntelliJ and Android Studio. On IntelliJ, I can use debugging in my main code, but I also used it in the Unit Tests to see in what aspect of my code an error was happening. In Android Studio, I became more comfortable with using Logcat to see where the error was happening and using the debug features to see how the information was being processed. While I am not the Emperor of Debugging, I feel that I am currently the Duke of Debugging. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CST 300 - Week 8

CST 300 - Week 5

CST 300 - Week 4